If at any stage you have problems, please feel free to open a support case by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Customer satisfaction is built into our team culture. We will guarantee to respond in less than 24 hours.
Reminder, all traffic graphs in firewalla can be tapped. After tapping, a flow table will be presented, you can then navigate the hours. Sometimes the graph may appear to be empty, tapping into the graph may show minor flows.
Most common problems encountered are listed here. if this doesn't solve your problem, please feel free to open a support case to email@example.com.
- Firewalla Box is unreachable
- Network slow down
- Not able to access the network (Simple Mode)
- Not able to access the network (DHCP Mode)
- Not able to access certain websites or Apps
- Not able to see network traffic
- Not able to block ads, porn or some domains
- Not able to connect to VPN
If your Firewalla Box is unreachable
There are several things you can try to get Firewalla box back:
1. Check your physical connections.
Make sure the SD Card is securely pushed in.
Use the enclosed USB adapter for power. If you use your own, make sure it supports 5V/2A. Firewalla will reboot randomly if it is 'under' powered.
Make sure Ethernet cable is securely connected on both ends, you may need to try a different Ethernet port to get it to work.
2. Power Cycle the Box
While booting please check the status lights. If anything abnormal, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
When booting is done (maximum 5 min), please kill the app and relaunch it.
Old Version of Firewalla Red (Firewalla Red purchased before May 2018, likely is the with blue light inside.)
New Version of Firewalla Red (Red light inside)
Firewalla Blue (Red light inside)
3. Reset App Data, and repair Firewalla Box.
Do this as last resort. If possible feel free to contact us email@example.com before doing the reset.
- If you are using iOS and the Firewalla icon vanished, please try the beta iOS app. (This applies to version 1.29 and below)
- Follow the instruction below to reset your App Data.
Power Cycle Firewalla Box, and wait for 3 minutes.
Launch the Firewalla App, and Pair the Box as new.
Network slow down
- If your network is slow down to under 30Mbps, your router is probably not compatible with Firewalla. Check Router Compatibility here.
- If you are using a meshed router please see https://help.firewalla.com/hc/en-us/articles/360008005173-About-Mesh-Routers
- The Firewalla box should be connected to your main router, or off a switch connected to the main router. Do not connected Firewalla to a satellite unit of a meshed router, or a network extender. (please see https://firewalla.com/install for details)
- Please be aware that the maximum packet processing speed of Firewalla Red is 100 Mbps and Firewalla Blue is >500 Mbps. (Why there are limitations in Firewalla speed?) If your Internet connection is greater than 100 Megabits, you should consider getting a Blue, which is optimized for power and speed. Find the difference between Blue & Red.
- Please also make sure your router's firmware is up to date. We have seen one case with NETGEAR R6220 where the router firmware was slowing down firewalla to 30% normal throughput. Upgrading to the latest firmware solved the problem.
- If you have Fing/circle/Cujo/Bitdefender/PiHole or similar products on your network, please see https://firewalla.com/compatibility for details.
- If you have router within a router, or networking devices under your network, please make sure they are not monitored.
- Try to plugin firewalla into another port of your switch/router in case the Ethernet slot is defected.
Not able to access the network? (Simple Mode)
Most problems encountered in this mode are compatibility issues. Firewalla software tries its best to predict compatibility, but it is not perfect. Please consult router compatibility, there are tips in this document.
If your phone can no longer talk to Firewalla
- Change your phone to use LTE/3G/4G network, most of the time you should be able to talk to Firewalla
- If this method doesn't work, please reboot firewalla box by unplugging and plugging it back.
- Double check your power plug, make sure it is from us and/or can deliver 2A of current.
- If above doesn't work, please unplug Firewalla, contact us firstname.lastname@example.org with the model of your router.
If all devices are not able to access network
- Turn off monitoring of the Box. This should restore your network.
- You should try to switch to DHCP mode.
- If everything fails, send an email with your router model to email@example.com
If one device is not able to access the network
- Check if there is any blocking rule applied to the device. Tap on Device-> Blocking rules.
- Turn off monitoring on a device.
- Check device network setup. (IP address, DNS, gateway and etc)
If only wired network works, or only wireless network works
- Check router compatibility page, likely your router is NOT compatible with the simple mode
- if so, you will need to switch to DHCP mode
If only certain websites or Apps you can't access
Example: One of our customers weren't able to stream ESPN Sling content over Roku. This problem was solved by turning off Ad-block.
(The same problem may also apply to family mode).
Not able to access the network? (DHCP Mode)
First please check if your device is getting an IP address, and that address should be in 192.168.218.x range. If not please reboot Firewalla Box. If you still do not have access to the network, please send email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Not able to see network traffic?
If the graphs come out empty, please check the following:
- Make sure the box monitoring mode is on. If there is a light gray dot on the monitor button, tap on the monitor button and either turn on Simple or DHCP mode.
- If you are in DHCP mode, likely some devices don't have the new IP. Disconnect and reconnect the device to the network and you should be fine. Double check that your router's DHCP server is off.
- Check the device menu and make sure the device internet or monitoring option is not off.
- Check if the device is an ipv6 only device. If it is, Tap on "+" and enable the ipv6 service.
5. Check if you have any network extenders such as EX3700. These extenders will hide MAC or randomize the real MAC addresses, which make tracking impossible.
If the graphs are showing something
- Very likely the problem is some flows or network traffic is going over IPv6. To check, try to block that particular device and try to visit https://firewalla.com and https://google.com,if firewalla.com fails and google.com succeeds, then follow above to enable IPv6.
Not able to block ads, porn or some domains?
- Firewalla can only block if it can see the network traffic. If you can't block, likely Firewalla can't see. Please see "Not able to see network traffic".
- Some blocks are DNS based, try to flush DNS cache (going to airplane mode and come back, for example).
- For Adblock, use this site to check https://ads-blocker.com/testing/
- If you have ipv6, make sure you turn on ipv6 (tap on + and turn on ipv6)
Not able to connect to VPN？
Check out this article: https://help.firewalla.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004274633-VPN
If you still have any problems, feel free to open a support case by sending an email to email@example.com.