Feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, it will create a support case, and our engineers will help you directly. The Firewalla Purple is presale only, please see https://firewalla.com/purple for details.
This is currently a beta document.
STEP 1: Download and Install Firewalla App
Firewalla Purple requires Firewalla App 1.48. This app is currently in beta. You will be invited to the app beta once you receive the Purple Unit.
- iOS users: You should be getting an invitation email sent by TestFlight, follow the instruction to install the beta App.
- Android users: Open this link https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.firewalla.chancellor in your mobile browser, and log in with your Google Play account to join the beta program. It may take a few hours to receive an update of the Firewalla app. If you don't have the Firewalla app installed, download it on Google Play.
(Please email email@example.com if you do not have access to the app after receive your Purple.)
STEP 2: Know the Hardware
Firewalla Purple Back
- The STATUS light is used to indicate the status of the box.
- 1 USB Type-C Port (PWR) is used for power.
- The USB 2.0 port is for future expansion and is not yet supported.
- Two fully-routable Ethernet ports labeled LAN and WAN.
Note, the Ethernet ports are not interchangeable. They must be wired appropriately to other devices as described for each scenario.
Ethernet Lights on Purple
|Color||Speed||Solid light||Flashing light|
|Green (left)||100 Mbps||FE connection established||Data moving|
|Amber (right):||1000 Mbps/1 Gbps||GE connection established||Data moving|
Firewalla Purple Front
- The reset button can be used to reset. Tutorial: Reset Firewalla Purple.
- One SD Card reader slot for expanded space for customizations such as running docker containers and reflashing the Purple if necessary.
STEP 3: Getting Started & Wiring your Network
Firewalla Purple is an extremely powerful and flexible networking device and can be used in several configurations based on your needs and what equipment you have running the rest of your network. So before wiring up the Purple for your network, you must decide the following:
Do you want to use Firewalla as your main router?
- Yes. Set up as a router - Router mode (recommended)
- No. Add to an existing network
STEP 3.1: Set up as a router (Router Mode) (Recommended)
We highly recommend using the Firewalla Purple in router mode. In this mode, Firewalla Purple will become your main router and it will manage your network inline between your network and your ISP modem/router.
When to use
The advantages of Router mode include:
- Firewalla will be able to manage your traffic inline.
- All the routing functions of your network will be done by Firewalla, and your Wi-Fi router can use the extra CPU cycles to provide you with better Wi-Fi.
- The LAN port can be configured later as one big segment, or as individual network segments with a managed switch. See Firewalla: Network Segmentation Use Cases and Working from Home, Better & Smarter
- No compatibility issues, unlike Simple/DHCP modes which sometimes have issues with specific routers.
If you have triple-play services over VLAN's setup required by your ISP, please see this guide.
Depending on the equipment you have, there are a few ways to configure Purple as your router.
Scenario A. You have a router connected to a modem
Connect the LAN port of your modem to Purple's WAN port, then connect Purple's LAN port to the router's WAN port. After connection, configure the old router into AP mode or Bridge mode. Purple will now be your router.
Scenario B. You have a mesh network
Connect the LAN port of Modem to Purple's WAN port. Then connect the Purple's LAN port to the primary mesh unit's WAN port. Note, do not connect the Purple's LAN port to a mesh satellite device.
After connection, please change the mesh router into AP mode or Bridge mode. Check out our guide on specific brands/models.
If you have a Google Wi-Fi Mesh Network (Here is an additional Guide ).
Scenario C. You have an integrated modem/router
Connect the Purple's WAN port to the LAN port of Modem/Router, then connect your devices to the Purple's LAN port.
- Turn off the routing function of the modem/router (change it to Bridge mode) to avoid double NAT on your network.
- Typically you will want an extra Wi-Fi device such as a Wi-Fi router, Wi-Fi mesh router, or access point (a Wi-Fi-only device) to connect to Purple. You should run these devices in AP (Access Point) mode.
- If you do not have an extra Wi-Fi router and do not want to purchase an extra Wi-Fi router, please use Simple or DHCP mode instead.
Firewalla Purple does support Wi-Fi LAN but due to the small space for an antenna and power requirements, Purple's Wi-Fi is only meant for a fairly small number of users in a smallish space. It is not intended to take the place of more powerful Wi-Fi APs.
STEP 3.2: Add to an existing network (Simple/DHCP mode)
Simple and DHCP modes are best if you just want to augment your network with Firewalla's security monitoring capabilities. These modes do not require you to rewire your network.
- The router must be connected to the LAN port on Purple.
- This article describes how the simple and DHCP mode works.
- This article has the compatibility guidelines for simple/DHCP/and mesh routers.
- The WAN port can be configured later as one big segment, or as individual network segments with a managed switch and VLANs.
- Reminder: Router mode is much more efficient for this scenario. You don't have to worry about router compatibility and tell Firewalla how your network is configured.
Scenario A. You have integrated modem/router
If you are using the modem/router combo you just need to connect the Firewalla purple's LAN port to one of the LAN ports of the modem/router.
Scenario B. You have a mesh network
If you wish to use this mode anyway, connect the Firewalla box's LAN port to the LAN port of the primary device (not the satellite device). After installation, please disable the monitoring of the satellite devices in the Firewalla app after app installation. You will find more in our Mesh Router Guide.
Scenario C. You have a router connecting to a separate modem
If you wish to use this mode anyway, connect the Purple's LAN port to one of the LAN ports of the router. Make sure the mobile phone running the Firewalla App during installation is connected to the WI-FI network provided by the same router where Purple is plugged in.
Scenario D. Advanced Simple Mode
If you want Firewalla Purple to monitor multiple networks (this is not the usual configuration, most of you will not need this), please see this guide.
STEP 3.3: Adding to an existing network (Bridge Mode)
Firewalla Transparent Bridge Mode places a Firewalla Purple or Gold physically in the middle of an existing network without modifying the IP address of the network.
When to use
- If your network is not compatible with Firewalla's Simple Mode and you don't want to use the DHCP mode.
- To preserve existing router functions due to compliance or complexity of replacing the router.
- To filter traffic without creating additional networks.
Connect Purple's WAN Port to the LAN port of your router, then connect the rest of your devices to Purple's LAN port. All network flows passing through Firewalla will be monitored and controlled.
STEP 4: Pairing Firewalla App with Purple
Before pairing the App to your Firewalla:
1. Reboot the modem/router before installing Purple in router mode. Some service providers may require you to do this when using a new router.
2. Make sure your mobile phone has internet access. If you are setting up the Purple in router mode, and your phone is still connected to Wi-Fi, switch to cellular mode.
3. If you are setting up the Purple with Simple/DHCP/Bridge Mode, make sure to turn on the DHCP function on your router, otherwise Purple may not be able to get its IP Address from it.
Note, currently, Purple does not support the initial setup with a Wi-Fi WAN, if you'd like to use Wi-Fi as your only WAN connection, set it up with an ethernet cable first, then switch the WAN to Wi-Fi or use Fail-over mode.
Open the Firewalla App on your phone, tap on the "+" icon, choose Firewalla Purple, the App will guide you to wire up the box.
When Firewalla Purple is found, the App will ask you to scan the QR code on the bottom of the unit.
Next, select the model based on the wiring you did in STEP 3. Once the mode is set, and the Box is wired up correctly. Firewalla will automatically set up the network.
STEP 5: Configure Networks and Wi-Fi
- Network Configuration and Segmentation using the Network Manager
- Firewalla Purple: Short Distance Wi-Fi
STEP 6: Additional Configuration Settings
- Migrating From Other Boxes
- Device Groups
- Manage Rules
- Network Segmentation Use cases
- Getting Started With Your Firewalla
- Try our beta web interface