Worried about internet usage limits or network performance issues? Forgot to turn off streaming? You can monitor uploads, downloads, and total bandwidth usage of devices in your network, and get alerted for unusual patterns.
Large Bandwidth Usage Alarm
Firewalla is able to monitor your network's bandwidth usage and notify you when a device has consumed a large amount of bandwidth over a short period of time. This notification/alarm can be used to automatically detect and control devices that are draining bandwidth from your network.
This alarm is enabled by default. To configure, go to Alarms > Settings > Large Bandwidth Usage Alarm.
Example: Device Goldwalla has consumed 4.12 GB data during the last 2 hours, which is 86.06% of the total bandwidth usage in the network. Combined with the behavioral analysis algorithm, Firewalla decided that this is unusual and triggered an alarm.
The alarm detail screen shows the following:
- Device - Which device is causing the alarm
- Data Transferred - Data transferred on the device in the last 24 hours
- Top Destinations - Top 5 destinations based on the data transfer volume
- Firewalla measures the number of bytes excluding the IP (Internet Protocol Header) and MAC headers. Your service provider may measure differently. (Service provider may likely measure more since they likely to include IP header and MAC headers)
- There are certain long-lasting (TCP connections that never terminates) which will get accounted when the session is terminated. Your service provider may measure differently.
Monthly Data Plan Alarm
Firewalla generates Monthly Data Plan alarms when the data usage exceeds 80%, 90%, 100% of a given threshold within a month. Users can configure the data plan threshold and the reset date of each cycle.
- Data Usage Plan - Based on your monthly data plan, set a limit or threshold
- Reset Date - When to start the tracking of a new cycle
To set up the monthly data plan alarm, go to Alarms from the home screen, then Settings (icon on the top right), and the "Monthly Data Plan" option.
NOTE: If the alarm setting is set to "Mute", this feature will be turned off.
Example: The network has consumed 148.16 GB during the month, and the target data plan is set to 100 GB. When the data usage reached the 100GB threshold, Firewalla will generate an alarm. Below is a sample of the alarm details screen.