Before everything, please note:
- This is a tech doc only for Pros
- Some steps are NOT persistent and will be lost after reboot. Starting 1.971, you'll be able to persist the configurations by adding a script (step 4).
- This only works with the beta version of iOS app for now
- This is for Firewalla Gold. For Red and Blue, please refer to this guide: https://help.firewalla.com/hc/en-us/articles/360034635473
1. Create Configuration Files
You have to choose
- a network as your docker network, we use 172.16.0.0/24 in this tutorial
- a static IP for your pi-hole instance, we use 172.16.0.2 in this tutorial
- a password for your pi-hole management console, we use firewalla in this tutorial
Create the following folder/files
version: "3" # More info at https://github.com/pi-hole/docker-pi-hole/ and https://docs.pi-hole.net/ services: pihole: container_name: pihole image: pihole/pihole:latest environment: # set a secure password here or the default will be firewalla WEBPASSWORD: 'firewalla' # Volumes store your data between container upgrades volumes: - './etc-pihole/:/etc/pihole/' - './etc-dnsmasq.d/:/etc/dnsmasq.d/' - './etc-resolv.conf:/etc/resolv.conf' - '/etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro' restart: unless-stopped networks: default: # static IP address for pi-hole ipv4_address: 172.16.0.2 networks: default: driver: bridge ipam: config: # your chosen docker network here - subnet: 172.16.0.0/24
2. Start and Test Pi-hole
run the following commands to install and start pi-hole
cd /home/pi/.firewalla/run/docker/pi-hole sudo systemctl start docker sudo docker-compose pull sudo docker-compose up --no-start sudo ip route add 172.16.0.0/24 dev br-$(sudo docker network inspect pi-hole_default |jq -r '..Id[0:12]') table lan_routable sudo ip route add 172.16.0.0/24 dev br-$(sudo docker network inspect pi-hole_default |jq -r '..Id[0:12]') table wan_routable sudo docker-compose up --detach
If everything is good, pi-hole will be booted and you can now access its management portal by visiting http://172.16.0.2 in your browser.
3. Set Pi-hole as DNS for your network.
Now proceed to the network settings on Firewalla App, assign 172.16.0.2 as the primary DNS server for the networks that you want to enable Pi-Hole.
Save and you should be able to see DNS requests coming up in the management console.
4. Persisting The Configuration
You must be on firewalla 1.971 or later for this
create folder /home/pi/.firewalla/config/post_main.d and the following file
sudo ipset create -! docker_lan_routable_net_set hash:net sudo ipset add -! docker_lan_routable_net_set 172.16.0.0/24 sudo ipset create -! docker_wan_routable_net_set hash:net sudo ipset add -! docker_wan_routable_net_set 172.16.0.0/24 sudo systemctl start docker-compose@pi-hole
And you are ready to go.
All product names, logos, and brands are the property of their respective owners. All company, product, and service names used in this website are for identification purposes only. The use of these names, logos, and brands does not imply endorsement.