There are some great tricks in the Firewalla app that can save you time and let you do more with your Firewalla box. In case you haven't found them already, here are a few of our favorites.
- Alarms and Notifications
- Providing Feedback on Flows & Alarms
- Phone Access Management
- Other UI Tips
- Tap on any Device Group, then tap into its Devices List. Swipe left on any device to remove it from the device group. For example, you can quickly release devices from your Quarantine group.
- On the Devices list, you can tap the arrows icon at the top right of the screen to sort the list by top download, top upload, last seen time, name, IP Address, or MAC Address. You can also tap to show Devices with Reserved IP or Past Devices.
- On the Devices list, you can search devices by Device Name, MAC Address, IP Address, and Local Domain Name.
- You can use iOS Spotlight to locate and open Devices and Networks in the Firewalla app. To do this, make sure Spotlight has permission to access the Firewalla app by going to Settings -> Siri & Search -> Firewalla -> enable Show App in Search and Show Content in Search. Note that Spotlight isn't supported in some countries.
- If you tap on a blocked flow, you can find out why it was blocked by tapping Diagnose at the bottom of the page. Firewalla will tell you what rules or policies are responsible for the block.
- Tap on the "..." icon in the top right corner of the Rules page to use our Diagnostics tool. You can enter a website and a device to see if Firewalla has policies blocking or allowing the access.
- If you're having trouble with your WANs, you can run on-demand network diagnostics by tapping on the Network Manager, then scrolling down and tapping Run Network Diagnostics. After a few moments, you'll see a report about your WAN connections.
- On your box's main page, tap anywhere on the graph of the last 24 hours to view the flows from a specific hour.
- In your list of Blocked Flows, you can tap the text on the right of each Blocked Flow to see the Remote Port, whether it was blocked by IP or DNS, Blocked Count, or Direction (Inbound or Outbound).
Alarms and Notifications
- Tap "…" in the top right corner of any alarm to delete or archive all alarms.
- Tap "…" on any New Device Alarm to mute new device alarms on any network.
- If you want to mute alarms from a list of domains or IPs but don't want to create mute settings for each target individually, you can group those targets in a Target List and mute alarms based on it. Tap Alarms -> Alarm Settings -> choose an alarm category -> Mute -> Add Target List -> select your Target List.
- For users who own multiple Firewalla boxes, you can go to Box Settings -> Box Name to change the name of the Firewalla Boxes. After renaming your boxes, go to Box Settings -> Notifications to control whether the names of your boxes show in notifications.
Providing Feedback on Flows & Alarms
- If Firewalla has misidentified a flow's region or category, you can give feedback. Tap on the flow, scroll down, tap on Region or Category, then tap Report Incorrect Region/Category.
- Similarly, you can give us feedback about an alarm's region or category from its detail page. Tap on an alarm with region or category information, scroll down and tap Region or Category, then tap Report Incorrect Region/Category.
- To give us more general feedback about an alarm, such as if it's too frequent or hard to understand, tap "…", then tap Provide feedback. You can add additional info if needed.
Phone Access Management
- To use multiple phones to manage one Firewalla box, go to Box Settings -> Advanced -> Allow Additional Pairing. Turn on Additional Pairing and use another Firewalla App to scan the generated QR code. Learn more about Additional Pairing.
- If you want to know how many phones are paired with your Firewalla box, go to Box Settings -> Advanced -> Paired Phones. Tap on any of them to unpair. You can tap on the first entry in the list (labeled "This Phone") to change your email address.
Other UI Tips
- You'll find a Notes field on many of Firewalla's custom policies, such as Rules, Routes, Smart Queue Rules, and Custom DNS Rules. Here, you can enter other information about the policy, such as what it's for or when it should be used. Your notes will appear in the Rules list.
- For Firewalla Gold and Purple, go to Box Settings -> About -> Port Speed to check Ethernet port speeds.
- You can pull down to refresh the screen you are looking at. For example, if you want to look for new devices that just joined the network, swipe down to refresh.
- You can go to a previous screen by swiping right. For example, if you go from the main screen to Devices, you can swipe right and you will go back to the main screen.