If you are an advanced user, here are some cool or fun things you can do on Firewalla.
First, a little bit of background. We build Firewalla as a system that we would like to use ourselves. We are hackers and makers. We love to see how things work. So, we build the system
- A full Linux Server.
- To reset the system, you just need to flash an SD card.
- We made the image available to you on our site.
- Of course, the code on Firewalla is Open Source
- Do a super reset to factory defaults.
- You don't trust the shipping system and afraid people/agencies may insert something when the box is in transit.
- You want a faster and bigger card for the box.
Secure Shell is a way to get into Firewalla and see how things working inside ... Yes, everything is accessible, we don't hide.
3. Install Pi-Hole
We designed firewalla to play well with other systems. Pi-Hole is one of the best open-source ad-blockers and it is fairly easy to install this directly on the Firewalla blue, and have it easily integrated with the rest of Firewalla.
4. Other Linux Apps
Firewalla is running under Ubuntu 16.04 Server. Which means you can easily pull any package you need. Few fun things you can do.
- install tshark and leverage Firewalla code to deep dive into networking. This is great for people who are learning TCP/IP.
- We included python/node / C compilers inside the box, so you can easily write programs onto it.
- Don't forget you got a USB port on Firewalla. Plug a USB flash disk in, install Samba, and now you have a shared drive running on Firewalla.
If any of the fun things blow up, use (1) to reset.