Keep Your Network Running With Firewalla Wi-Fi SD
The Firewalla Wi-Fi SD helps you keep your entire network running even if your main ISP is down. The Wi-Fi SD enables your box to tether to another Wi-Fi network (such as your phone's hotspot), creating a backup network if your primary connection fails. Firewalla's Multi-WAN support will automatically swap your primary internet with your Wi-Fi SD and then swap back once your primary internet is up again.
Installing Firewalla Wi-Fi SD
In the Wi-Fi SD box, you'll see a yellow Wi-Fi antenna and a USB adapter with the Firewalla logo on it. Screw the antenna firmly onto the USB adapter, then plug the Wi-Fi SD into one of the USB ports on your box.
When the Firewalla Wi-Fi SD is plugged in the Gold for the first time, a banner will appear in the app saying the Wi-Fi SD has been detected. Tap Get Started. Then, you can choose to create a WAN connection or a local network using the Wi-Fi SD.
Creating a WAN Connection via Wi-Fi
One way to use your Firewalla Wi-Fi SD is to create another WAN connection (a Wi-Fi-based backup WAN).
To connect to your phone's hotspot as a backup WAN:
- Make sure the hotspot on your phone is enabled.
- Tap WAN Connection via Wi-Fi on the app and it will start to scan all the available networks nearby.
- Select your phone's Wi-Fi network and enter the password if required, then tap Done.
- Your new WAN connection will be created automatically.
Creating a LAN Segment using Firewalla Wi-Fi SD
You can also use your Wi-Fi SD to create a temporary, short-range LAN segment.
- Tap Wi-Fi Local Network and the app will prompt you to fill in the information below:
- Wi-Fi name: A name (SSID) you'd like to use for the Wi-Fi.
- Password: Firewalla will generate a random password for you; you can change it or tap re-generate to randomly create a new one.
- Tap Create to save the network.
This is part of our Firewalla Weekly Newsletter. You can sign up here https://firewalla.com/weekly.