Firewalla is a general computer with a full Linux distribution. (Pretty much like Raspberry Pi, if you know what that is). Many of our early supporters really wanted Firewalla system to be "open". Not only open source, but open to modifications, or at least giving some room to 'play'.
We kept our promise and left the SD card slot and made it user accessible.
We also uploaded the Final image to Github. Some of the cool things you can do
- Get a bigger / better SD card and you can actually do programming on the little thing. (Python, Node.js, and even GCC are already on the box!)
- Install things like 'tshark'. Which allows you to monitor all traffic on the network.
- A couple of our supporters expressed that they don't trust the shipping process, in this case, you can use your own flash and download the public image to it.
In case anything goes wrong you can use the build in 'Factory Defaults' to fix. But in case you got creative, here is the instruction to recover:
- Download the Firewalla Image Tap on Here. This url only applies to Firewalla Red, please open case for image url if you are BLUE beta user
- Download a flash program, we use etcher.io
- Take the flash out from Firewalla and use etcher to load the image.
- Put the card back in.
- Done as new.
- Go back hacking!
After flashing (and before pairing with the app), you should still have an old icon on your phone. That's the 'old firewalla'. What you need to do is
- launch the app
- you should see the old Firewalla icon
- tap and hold on the Firewalla Icon, then a dialogue will popup
- tap on that to confirm, it will remove the previous pairing.