Firewalla has a built-in support function. This function helps us to remotely get into your box and help to diagnose the problem. We call this the 'remote support feature'.
This feature is default off, so without you give us a key, we can not look at what's going on.
During support, we may ask you to turn on this feature and send us the credential.
Follow these steps:
1. Tap the gear -> Help & Support -> Remote Support.
2. Turn on Remote Support -> tap the copy icon next to the credential. The credential will be copied to your clipboard, you can paste it into the support ticket.
After the support is over, please turn the button off. The credential will be reset.
Some times support access may not be stable. In that case, you can send us the logs
- Settings-> Advanced -> Help & Support -> Open Support Ticket
- When asked about sending logs, say yes.
1. What to do when it reports 'Failed to start remote support'
Check if there is another firewall or NAT acceleration enabled in your network.
2. Is there a permanent support connection to Firewalla servers?
No. The connection is established when you enable the Remote Support button. And only with the credential, we can get into the system.
3. Will the support system open a port on my router?
No. Firewalla uses something called a reverse proxy. This proxy is a connection from your Firewalla to our cloud server when the button is active.
4. What can support see when you are inside?
We can see what Firewalla sees. Since Firewalla can't see through encrypted connections, we can't either.
5. What will you do inside?
Most of the time we will be gathering logs and look at them. And in special cases, we may apply small pieces of software to temporarily fix the problem. We will let you know when that happens.
6. Can other people connect to Firewalla when support is on?
Very unlikely. In order to do that, they will have to get into the Firewalla cloud and then have the credentials from your phone. Both have to happen for the connection to establish.
7. When will the Credential reset?
When you disable Remote Support or the system reboots.