Important: Advanced simple mode requires all the routers you are using to be compatible with Firewalla Simple mode. Here is the router compatibility list for your reference.
This tutorial applies to Firewalla Purple and Firewalla Gold.
This tutorial will walk you through the process of using one Firewalla Gold to monitor multiple networks and with your original setup untouched.
To monitor multiple networks using Firewalla advanced simple mode, you'll need to
- Connect Gold's ethernet ports to the LAN ports of your network's router or switch.
- Set up Gold as simple mode (by default it will use port 4 for internet connection)
- Create WAN Connections( NOT LAN networks) for each of the ports, and set the WAN connection type to DHCP or Static IP.
- All of the WAN networks will be monitored by Firewalla automatically.
Note for VLAN:
- If the switch's port, that Gold is connected to, is untagged, VLAN ID should not be assigned when creating WAN connections in the app.
- If the switch's port, that Gold is connected to, is tagged or is a trunk port, VLAN ID must be assigned when creating WAN connections in the app.
For example, if you have two networks set up with the managed switch,
- Main: 192.168.1.1/24
- IoT: 192.168.22.1/24, VLAN 22 (untagged)
You can monitor these two networks with one Firewalla Gold by following the steps below:
Step 1: Connect two of Firewalla Gold's ports to the switch, one for each network. On the switch, all the ports connected to Gold are untagged.
Step 2: Set up Firewalla with Simple mode, choose the WAN connection type as DHCP. Port 4 is the default port used for the initial setup.
Step 3: Create another WAN connection and assign to port 3, WAN connection Type: DHCP.
Step 4: Save the network configuration. Each of the WAN connection will get the IP address assign by your router.
You can now manage your networks and device using Firewalla.