Firewalla is a full distribution Linux, so it is possible to install many different services running alongside Firewalla. Here is a quick tutorial on bringing one of the open-source projects to Firewalla in less than 5 mins.
Firewalla already has a built-in Ad Block feature, but if you want, it's also very easy to integrate with Pi-Hole.
- This tutorial will only work with Firewalla version 1.965 or greater
- Please make sure you know how to reset firewalla, in case things blow up.
- Please only try this on the Firewalla Blue. The red may not have enough RAM.
- This tutorial is only for Pro people.
Warning: The conflict of DNS blocking between Pi-Hole and Firewalla
If you install Pi-Hole on Firewalla, Pihole will become the upstream DNS server of Firewalla. All DNS traffic will route through Firewalla first then to Pi-Hole, so that you will only be able to see localhost and Firewalla on the Pi-Hole portal.
Devices -> Firewalla -> Pi-Hole -> further upstream DNS servers
To get individual stats on devices, you will have to install Pi-Hole on a separate device and use it as DNS server in your router DHCP setting. But in this way, you will lose all the per-device DNS features (Family Protect, Ad-Block, Safe search, etc.) on Firewalla, because Firewalla will only see DNS traffic from Pi-Hole.
Devices -> Pi-Hole -> Firewalla -> further upstream DNS servers
How to run Pi-Hole on Firewalla in 5 mins
Step 1. Get Firewalla SSH password from Firewalla App (Settings-> Advanced -> Configurations -> SSH Console -> tap the password to reveal it).
Step 2. Login Firewalla by ssh, the user account is pi. Then install Pi-Hole with this command:
curl -sSL https://install.pi-hole.net | bash
Step 3. Turn off Family Protect on Firewalla App. Family Protect Feature and Pi-Hole can't be activated at the same time.
Step 4. Reboot Firewalla ( Settings-> Advanced -> Reboot), and it's done.
1. Firewalla may take longer to complete the reboot process when pihole is installed, so please be patient.
2. If you enabled web interface when installing Pi-Hole, you can access by http://<firewalla_ip>. If you see Firewalla pairing page when accessing the site, it means the pairing service is running, just wait for 10 minutes and try again.