- Firewalla has a feature we call, "DNS Booster" (a DNSMASQ server), which speeds up DNS lookups.
- If you manually point the DNS server to Firewalla, it can also work with Family Protect and Ad Block. (not fully tested, but should work in theory)
- Firewalla VPN server doesn't rely on the monitoring capability. So it can be used independently.
Generic Linux Server
- Firewalla is based on a full Linux distribution. So you can pretty much do anything you want on it (given you know what you are doing).
- It is common scripting languages such as node and python.
- It has built-in compilers such as GCC.