- Firewalla has a feature we call, "DNS Booster" (a DNSMASQ server), which speeds up DNS lookups.
- If you manually point the DNS server to Firewalla, it can also work with Family Protect and Ad Block. (not fully tested, but should work in theory)
- Firewalla VPN server doesn't rely on the monitoring capability. So it can be used independently.
Generic Linux Server
- Firewalla is based on a full Linux distribution. So you can pretty much do anything you want on it (given you know what you are doing).
- It is common scripting languages such as node and python.
- It has built-in compilers such as GCC.
Additionally, I believe the following features can still be used even when monitoring is off:
1. Use DDNS to identify what your publicly facing (external/ISP assigned) IP address is.
2. Run external port scans to identify open ports that are exposed to the world
3. Run internal device port scans to identify what ports are open/listening on your internal devices
4. Would new device quarantine still work? Firewalla would still have to “monitor” for MAC address but it could just simply block everything associated with that MAC address
5. VPN server is already mentioned above but VPN client (functionality came after this post) should also work…
Please sign in to leave a comment.