Recently purchased Firewalla Gold and so far quite happy exception to group and device rule management.
1. Have a VLAN20 where all internet to/from access is blocked. All devices are automatically part of this vlan.
2. Have Groups like "Kids_group_1" where I have devices for kids.
Issue / Challenge:
1. VLAN20 rules are inherited to all devices and stick applied to it, regardless of group inheritance (as per doc and in practice)
2. In order to enable internet access, I apply rule at "Kids_group" to enable traffic "To internet" that enables traffic to internet.
3. Now, If I need to just block Youtube access (while keeping rest of internet enabled) on "kids_group_1", I apply a rule at Group level (clicking on block youtube on). Expecting result that youtube will be blocked while rest of internet would work. However this setup does not work.
It seems that Group level access to internet that is inherited by device superseded any and all block rule applied at group rules.
I have about 3 devices per kid and changing these at each device level across 4 kids is quite a bit of work in a day as each has different schedule.
Looking for help, if this setup seems to be correct, what am I missing ?
Please sign in to leave a comment.