This is my updated list on feedback I have on the Android beta.
Phone: Samsung S7 Edge
Current App Version: 1.51
- Overall, the setup was very easy and clear. It took a few minutes for the app to see the firewalla device, but once it did, it was a very easy setup. My grandmother could probably do it.
- When the device boots, it sends a blank notification.
- This might just be an Samsung S7 Edge issue, top bar buttons (settings, back) are harder to press. They could be a bit larger.
- Throughout the app, for fields that cannot be edited, I should be able to long hold and copy the value of that field.
- (Not sure if this already exists or not) But when the app is started, it should check if there is an app update.
Device selection screen:
- If there is only one firewalla device on the network, it should automatically open to the home page for that device. No need to add an extra step when the user obviously would want to access that page on load.
- The icon should be colored or greyscale depending on whether the device is up or down.
Device Home Page
- Overall, it is a good design. I like that you can see what features are already enabled.
- For the graph, it looks like your point interpolation method is a bit off. Probably shouldn't be using a spline interpolation as it isn't very accurate to the actual data being used. I would suggest a linear or nearest neighbor interpolation. https://imgur.com/a/KwNy4
Device list page
- Renaming a device should be left to the device detail page. I should not be able to modify the device name from the device list page. Selecting any part of the list item should send me to the device detail page.
- Under the IP address, there is a (what seems to be) a category and the last active time. The category is not intuitive. Either it should be explained or removed. I would like to see 'Last active hh:mm'
- Monitoring and Internet Off switch. Not sure if this is a feature or not, but when I turn off monitoring for a device, there isn't an option to then turn off the internet. These should be two different settings. ex: I have a device that I don't want to monitor, but I do want to toggle the internet occasionally. In order to turn the internet on, I would have to then turn off monitoring every time.
- When using the search, hitting cancel should also dismiss the keyboard and lose focus on the search input box.
Device List > Device Details
- The Device name is already focused and there is no way to not focus it.
- Renaming a device
- If there is no data under on of the categories (Apps, Uploads, Downloads, History), it should display a message explaining that.
- I'm not sure what the category Apps is supposed to display, I see Youtube and Twitter. What is the definition of "Apps"?
Device List > Device Details > Flow Details (Selecting the graph)
- The default time should be 'Now'
- The padding of the times can be much smaller.
- It seems that only Apps and History are the only ones sorted by time. I can see downloads I made at 6pm under the 8pm time slot. Also, these are sorted by size, not time.
- It doesn't seem that this page header gets device name change updates. It still has the original device name. (Flow Details of [Original Name])
- If there are no alarms, it should say that
- When the app restarts, all of the alerts come back.
- It looks like archived alarms aren't working
- It would be nice if I could swipe an alert left or right to allow or block it. Similar to the Outlook email app
Blocked Sites page
- Why can't I add a blocked site on this page?
- All of my devices are listed under Blocked Devices. Selecting one of the devices brings up a menu to "Remove from Trust List". I selected this for one of my devices and it is no longer in this list. In fact, I don't know how to get it back or if it did anything. Edit: through opening and closing the app multiple times, I have found that I now have multiple duplicates of each device listed here.
Open Ports page
- The icon looks like a reload button, but it isn't.
- The text just says that the list should be empty, but there is not confirmation text that says the list is empty. I don't know if the app is broken or if I just don't have any ports open.
- When I select the button to install/download the profile for the VPN, I'm presented with a page that says, "All apps associated with this action have been turned off, blocked, or are not installed." and no other information is displayed. If this option does not work yet, it should be disabled until it does work
Ad Block page
- If you are just passing DNS to AlternateDNS, is there anything you guys are refining? If not, the phrase, "It is not perfect, we are getting there." means you do have some control over this DNS.
- Nevertheless, it seems to be working pretty well. Even gets the youtube ads.
- Pretty straightforward. I really wish I could both have some sort of parental blocking as well as block ads. I understand you can't set more than one DNS server, but maybe there is another way you can do this.
- It would be nice to have a URL filter by domain, subdomain or some type of simple regex matching. It would be nice to block: reddit.com (the whole domain), sub.reddit.com (Just the subdomain), reddit.com/r/pizza (a specific subdomain), *pizza* (any URL with 'pizza')
- It doesn't look like I can apply family mode to specific devices. This would be a nice feature.
- Including a button to copy the URL or IP would be nice. Currently, there is no way to select the text.
- There isn't much explanation of the difference between the three monitoring modes on the first help page. There should be at least a simple explanation with a link to a more detailed one.
- Selecting a mode and going back to the Monitoring page doesn't update the selection visually. Backing out to the main page and going back in shows the change. This is an issue throughout the app. Changing a setting doesn't update until the page is reloaded.
- Under Monitoring Mode, there should not be an option for disabled. That option is already handled with the toggle option above it. There should only be the two modes.
- Notifications. The overall toggle for notifications can just read "Notifications" rather than "All Notifications". One might get confused and think enabling "All Notifications" means all notifications are enabled regardless of the selections below.
- Advanced Mode. Updating, Rebooting, or shutting down should pop up an alert that says the Firewalla is in the process of [action] and that you will be notified when it is back up. Currently, you select the app and there is no indication that anything happened.
- Advanced Mode. Upgrading should check the version and alert you if there is an update before it tries to update and restart.
- Advanced Mode. What does "Direct access" mean? There is no indication.
- Any time the device restarts, it should alert you and disable the settings. Maybe kick you back to the main screen until it is ready?
Please sign in to leave a comment.