Required Box model: Firewalla Gold. The applicable features will come to Blue/Red in 1.971 as well.
To join beta
- Make sure you have the latest apps
- Required App versions: iOS 1.42.x / Android 1.42.x or above;
- Launch Firewalla
- Tap on your Firewalla instance
- Tap on the top right gears button
- Tap on Advanced
- Tap on Beta Program
- and turn on Beta
- Note: beta is not production software, experienced users only
1. Multiple WAN Failover/ Load Balancing (Gold)
Multi-WAN configuration only becomes available when more than one WAN network is enabled.
You can configure how multiple connections handle internet traffic. There are two modes:
Failover: Failover is intended to ensure internet availability, where you can use a standby connection to take over when the active connection fails.
Load Balance: Load balancing distributes network traffic across multiple WAN connections. It helps improve the responsiveness of internet access and ensure no single network gets overloaded.
The number of WAN connections is limited to 2 on the Firewalla App.
2. Smart Queue and Rate Limit (Gold)
Smart Queue prioritizes traffic and reduces delays when the bandwidth is heavily loaded. By default, we use FQ_Codel to increase utilization across the entire network and manage queues with minimum delay.
You can create smart queue rules to limit the maximum bandwidth matching traffics on any specific device/group/network.
To change the default queue type or prioritize certain traffic will be supported later.
This feature only works in router mode.
3. New Device Quarantine
New Device Quarantine creates a Quarantine group, with a set of pre-defined rules, to block new devices from accessing the internet and other segments of your network. The rules can be customized. When new device quarantine is enabled, new devices connected to your network will be automatically added to the quarantine group, and an alarm will be generated. You can choose to release the device from quarantine if it is trusted.
The quarantine group can be used as a simple guest network with very flexible rules.
To enable: tap on the "+" button on the main screen, and turn on "New Device Quarantine"
4. Customized Scripting and Docker (Gold)
Custom hooks to safely execute user programs and scripts when Firewalla is rebooted. The scripts must be created under:
More details on this feature https://help.firewalla.com/hc/en-us/articles/360054056754
Please see this https://help.firewalla.com/hc/en-us/articles/360051625034 for a pi-hole docker example.
1. Support changing the port and protocol used for Firewalla VPN Server
2. Support creating networks with template (Gold)
Improvements and bug fixes:
- Issue: If you are using a Multi-WAN load balancing mode, a very small number of sites that check for a single source IP address may fail.
How to Fix: Policy Based Routing (1.972 release)
- IPv6 DHCP may not work; this bug is fixed and will be released to beta soon