"A virtual private network, or VPN, is an encrypted connection over the Internet from a device to a network. The encrypted connection helps ensure that sensitive data is safely transmitted. It prevents unauthorized people from eavesdropping on the traffic and allows the user to conduct work remotely."
- What is Firewalla VPN Server?
What is Firewalla VPN Server?
Firewalla VPN Server places the VPN server inside your house. it runs inside of that little Firewalla box. This VPN service must be used by you when you are outside of the house. And you get the same level of security protection as if you are at home, provided by Firewalla.
Connect to Firewalla VPN = You are at Home
Easy to setup
- You don't need to open additional ports on your router.
- You don't need to manually port forwarding random ports from your router to home device.
- You don't need to learn complicated technology to bring up a VPN server.
- One connection allows you to access all home devices.
- Securely surfing the internet with the benefit of Ad blocking, blocking porn sites and malicious sites.
- Securely accessing your home camera, NAS (network attached storage), smart door knob/power plug (IoT devices), and more.
- Your own private VPN server, not shared with others.
- Bypass censorship and internet filtering at work or another country.
- Prevent eavesdropping when you are on the road, at Starbucks.
Always at Home
- Take your video subscriptions anywhere. Stream Netflix, Hulu or any service just as you are at home. No restrictions.
- Access your banking / financial sites just as if you are home.
- Bypass internet censorship or filtering when traveling to a foreign country.
- Free VPN Server runs inside your home network, there is no monthly fee or additional charge.
This VPN Server is NOT
- This is not the traditional VPN service where you use to hide from your service provider.
- You can not use this service to bypass Netflix restrictions. (Unless you are traveling and have a Firewalla at 'home')
What does Firewalla VPN do?
Surfing the web just as if you are at home when you are not
Firewalla VPN Server allows you to easily set up an encrypted connection from anywhere in the world to your home. Although you are outside on public network, your security protection is just as if you are at home.
- You can access the internet as secure as you are at home.
- If you are at a place that controls internet access, you can use this to get around that.
- You don't need to open additional ports on your router when you are outside and want to view your home camera or file system.
Access your home network from anywhere
While Firewalla VPN allows you to safely connect back home, it can also allow you easily access all your network-enabled home devices, such as IoT devices, NAS file system, etc.
The Firewalla VPN server is a transport service provided by security certificates, it is much more difficult to be attacked than an HTTP service provided by your camera. It also encrypts all traffic between you and your home network, whatever sites you are surfing or files you are accessing are kept in private, won't be snooped by anyone in-between.
How to configure Firewalla VPN Server?
Please consult this tutorial: How to configure Firewalla VPN Server?
Here is a more updated tutorial by our fan, Brian. (Please give him a thumbs up if you like his work)