A very short description of VPN over at Wikipedia
Here are some uses of VPN
- Hide your IP address, or trick services where you are at. (access Netflix from other countries).
- Hide from ISP's. (Reminder, the service provider fully knows what you are doing, in this case, you trust the VPN service provider than your ISP)
- This is a variation of (2). Where the user wants to hide from security mechanism used by country/government/school/organizations/isp using VPN encryption.
Traditional VPN services will be able to do (1)(2)(3) by providing another server, where you pay for the service and they can do all 3.
Firewalla VPN is bit different, we place the VPN server inside your house. The VPN server runs inside of that little Firewalla box. This VPN service must be used by you when you are outside of the house. And its main purpose is to secure your internet connections when you are on the road.
- This service will make all of your connections look as if you are at home.
- You can access the internet as secure as you are at home.
- If you are at a place that controls internet access, you can use this to get around that.