What is VPN?
VPN stands for Virtual Private Network. A very short description of VPN over at Wikipedia:
Here are some uses of traditional VPN:
- Hide your IP address, or trick services where you are at. (access Netflix from other countries).
- Hide from ISP's. (Reminder, the service provider fully knows what you are doing, in this case, you trust the VPN service provider than your ISP)
- This is a variation of (2). Where the user wants to hide from security mechanism used by country/government/school/organizations/isp using VPN encryption.
Traditional VPN services will be able to do (1)(2)(3) by providing another server, where you pay for the service and they can do all 3.
What is Firewalla VPN?
Firewalla VPN is bit different, we place the VPN server inside your house. The VPN server runs inside of that little Firewalla box. This VPN service must be used by you when you are outside of the house. And you get the same level of security protection as if you are at home, provided by Firewalla.
How does it work?
Whenever you are at Starbucks (or other nice local coffee shops/malls/friend's house), you can launch OpenVPN client on your mobile or laptop device and connect back home via a encrypted link. This is like "surfing the web just as if you are at home when you are not".
What does it do?
- You can access the internet as secure as you are at home.
- If you are at a place that controls internet access, you can use this to get around that.
- You don't need to open additional ports on your router when you are outside and want to view your home camera or file system.
What doesn't it do?
- It will not hide your surfing habits from your ISP. (internet service provider)
- It will not help you access Netflix by using the IP address trick.
What else can it provide?
While Firewalla VPN allows you safely connect back home, it can also allow you easily access all your home network enabled home devices, such as IoT devices, NAS file system, etc.
Take a look at Access your home network from anywhere with Firewalla VPN to see more details.
Check out the VPN section of our user manual on how to turn on and use firewalla VPN.