The Firewalla Gold SE is the newest member of the Firewalla Gold family. Our goal is to make this unit as affordable as the Gold (original) and powerful enough to secure ISP speeds up to 2 gigabits.
- All Firewalla units run the same code base.
- All Gold units have the same features (e.g., unlimited VLANs, unlimited regional blocks).
- The main differences between the Gold units are the port speeds and their ability to process traffic at that speed.
How is the Gold SE CPU performance?
The Gold SE CPU is close to Gold (original).
- Gold SE uses an ARM CPU, while Gold Original and Gold Plus use x86 (Intel) CPUs.
- The Gold SE PassMark CPU benchmark is the same as the Gold (original).
- Gold SE has a slightly faster I/O supporting 2x 2.5 gigabit interfaces.
- Gold SE's memory is DDR4, which is a bit faster than Gold (original)'s DDR3.
Why is the Gold SE cheaper than Gold?
- ARM CPUs are generally less expensive than older Intel CPUs (such as the one used in the original Gold model).
- Gold SE runs cooler; it doesn't require a heavier enclosure like the Gold or Gold Plus.
- Pick the Gold Plus if:
- You have more than 100-150 devices on your network (or 50-80 really active devices)
- Your WAN speed is greater than 2 gigabit
- You need multiple network segments with 2.5 gigabit interfaces
- You look at network flows often and need slightly faster data indexing
- You plan to run complex docker containers
- Pick the Gold SE if
- Your WAN speed is greater than 1 gigabit but less than 2.1 gigabits (such as Comcast's 1.2 gigabit plan)
- You need one 2.5 gigabit interface LAN
- Otherwise, any model will work.
Learn more about how to choose between different Firewalla products.