Firewalla VPN Server supports both OpenVPN and WireGuard VPN. Here is the guide on how to configure WireGuard VPN. If you want to learn more about what is Firewalla VPN server, please refer to this article: Firewalla VPN Server
This feature is available in Firewalla Gold, Purple, and Blue Plus
WireGuard is a newer (when compared with OpenVPN) VPN protocol, and like OpenVPN is also open source. This protocol is simpler than OpenVPN and can have a higher encryption rate. (References https://wireguard.com https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WireGuard)
- WireGuard is UDP-based. (OpenVPN can run over TCP/UDP).
- On Firewalla Gold, the performance is 1.5 to 2 times faster than OpenVPN.
- WireGuard source code is new and it is a lot simpler than OpenVPN.
- Site to Site VPN is supported.
- There is a known issue that causes unstable WireGuard VPN connections if you are in dual-wan load balancing mode. If it occurs to you, please contact us at email@example.com.
1. To Enable WireGuard
2. Configure Port Forwarding
Similar to OpenVPN, WireGuard requires the port to be accessed from outside your network.
- If you are using Firewalla Gold, and it is running in Router mode without double NAT, skip this step. The "Port Forwarding" will be shown as complete.
- If your router has UPnP enabled (as most routers do), Firewalla will do everything for you. If your router doesn't support UPnP, you will need to manually set up port forwarding on your home router. Tutorial: How to set up port forwarding for VPN Server
3. Connect to Firewalla WireGuard VPN Server
3.1 Using Wireguard App
To connect to Wireguard VPN, you will need to install the WireGuard app on your mobile or desktop device. Here is the installation guide provided by Wireguard.
Once you installed the WireGuard app, you'll need a profile to set up the VPN Connection.
Tap Setup -> Add a Client, a client will be created automatically.
Up to 12 clients are now supported on the Firewalla VPN Server.
Please do NOT use the same VPN profile on different WireGuard clients at the same time.
Tap the client, it will show you a profile and a QR code. There are two ways to use the WireGuard app to connect your device to WireGuard VPN Server:
- Create from file
- Create from QR code. Here is an example of the WireGuard app on iOS:
3.2 Using Firewalla Site to Site VPN
Site to Site VPN using Wireguard protocol allows you to access shared devices such as file servers, printers, and video cameras bi-directionally between any two sites managed by Firewalla, but with a higher encryption rate and better performance.
To create a site-to-site VPN connection using WireGuard, on the Firewalla app, go to the client side box, find VPN Client -> Create VPN Connection -> Site to Site VPN -> Select the server box you'd like to connect -> Select WireGuard.