What does the server provide?
Firewalla VPN server is to give you security when you are outside and accessing the internet from a public place. Public WIFI's are convenient, but they are known to be insecure.
How does it work?
Whenever you are at Starbucks (or other nice local coffee shops/malls/friend's house), you can launch OpenVPN client and connect back home via a encrypted link.
This is like "surfing the web just as if you are at home when you are not".
What doesn't it do?
- It will not hide your surfing habits from your ISP. (internet service provider)
- It will not help you access Netflix by using the IP address trick.
Download your VPN clients:
- Turn on Firewalla and follow directions
- Tap on the VPN button and turn it on.
- Follow directions
- (Optional step)
- Firewalla VPN relies on UPNP to allow you to talk from outside in. Some routers may not support UPnP. (Like apple routers)
- If UPnP is not enabled, you will need to turn on port forwarding on your router. Please look at https://help.firewalla.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004388694-VPN-Setup-None-UPnP-
- Best way to validate is to have your phone go to LTE and use OpenVPN.
- If you are turning on VPN when you are on the same network as Firewalla, it may not work. Majority of consumer routers do not have this feature called "NAT Hairpinning"
If you are having problem connecting using OpenVPN 3.0.2:
OpenVPN client change the default setting to no compression. This breaks a few things. Here is how to make it working again
Here is a more updated tutorial by our fan, Brian. (Please give him a thumbs up if you like his work)
Mac / OSX
We use https://tunnelblick.net/ client for the MAC. It is free, open source, and works pretty well with Firewalla.
What you need to do now is:
1. install tunnelblick software on mac. (visiting site from above)
2. Open app, tap on VPN, tap on the "Profile For OpenVPN", and airdrop that to your MAC
3. open the dropped file on Mac with tunnelblick ...
4. follow directions. You may need to type in the password which is below the "Profile For OpenVPN button"